For NCSU Office of Technology Transfer
NC State’s Office of Technology Transfer is dedicated to bringing faculty, staff and student inventions and technologies to the marketplace to create benefits for NC State, the community and the general public. The office is responsible for strategically managing all intellectual property generated at the University, including its commercialization by licensing the Patent Rights to industrial partners.
- Evaluate inventions for patentability as well as commercial potential.
- Participate in inventor meetings to help understand the technology.
- Market inventions.
- Help case managers strategically respond to an office action, although the response is drafted and filed by outside patent counsel.
- Guide in various legal issues, with respect to patent filing and prosecution.
- Potential to participate in general business development and deal negotiations with potential licensees – especially if the partnership is a result of student’s efforts.
- Technical background in Sciences/engineering required.
- At least an Introductory IP Survey course required.
- No certification under the State Bar Student Practice Rule needed.