Martha Brandis Professor of Law
- LL.M., New York University Law School (1982)
- J.D., University of Iowa (1976)
- B.A. (Phi Beta Kappa), Carleton College (1973)
Bryan graduated first in her class from the University of Iowa Law School, where she served as a notes and comments editor of the Iowa Law Review. From 1976 to 1982, she practiced tax law in New York City while earning a master's degree in taxation from New York University. She joined the faculty in 1982. She teaches courses in federal taxation in addition to a seminar in law and literature. Bryan received the McCall Award for Teaching Excellence from the UNC-Chapel Hill graduating class in 1984. After spending a year as a visiting professor at Stanford Law School, she received the Hurlbut Award for Teaching Excellence from the Stanford Law School graduating class of 1988. Bryan has also been a visiting professor at the University of Iowa Law School, and has taught as an adjunct at North Carolina Central University. Since 2005, she has served as Director of the J. Nelson Young Tax Institute, a two-day CLE program sponsored by UNC Law School every spring.
Show All Publications
Public Financing for
Sports Stadiums: Winners and Losers, BASEBALL & AM. CULTURE (forthcoming 2016).
- THE PLEA (with Thomas Wolf) (University of Iowa Press, forthcoming 2015).
- Book Review (of Peter Kaufman, SKULL IN THE ASHES: MURDER, A GOLD RUSH MANHUNT AND THE BIRTH OF CIRCUMSTANTIAL EVIDENCE IN AMERICA (Univ. of Iowa Press, 2013)), 73 THE ANNALS OF IOWA 178 (Spring 2014).
[HV8079.H6 K38 2013]
The Building of Yankee Stadium: Tax-Exempt Bonds and Federal Subsidies for the Richest Team in Baseball, THE COOPERSTOWN SYMPOSIUM ON BASEBALL AND AMERICAN CULTURE: 2011-12 (McFarland Press, 2013).
On the Brink: Babe Ruth in Dennis Lehane's The Given Day (with T. Wolf), in THE 2009-10 COOPERSTOWN SYMPOSIUM ON BASEBALL AND AMERICAN CULTURE 42 (McFarland & Co. 2011). [GV863.A1 C635]
- HER AMERICA: "A JURY OF HER PEERS" AND OTHER STORIES BY SUSAN GLASPELL (with M. Carpentier), (University of Iowa Press, 2010). [PS3513.L35 H47 2010]
John Wesley Elkins, Boy Murderer, and His Struggle for Pardon, 69 ANNALS OF IOWA 261 (2010). [Document Link ()]
Tribute: Remembering Sally Burnett Sharp, 88 N.C. L. REV. 1209 (2010). [Westlaw, Lexis/Nexis, Hein]
Reading Literature in Law School and Beyond, N.C. ST. B. J., Summer 2009 at 24. [Document Link ()]
Taxing the Fan Who Catches the Ball: Looking Back on Record-Breakers, the 1998 Season and the IRS's Turn at the Plate, in COOPERSTOWN SYMPOSIUM ON BASEBALL AND AMERICAN CULTURE, 2007-2008 (McFarland Press, 2009). [GV863.A1 C635]