Associate Dean for Strategy and Geneva Yeargan Rand Distinguished Professor of Law
- J.D. (cum laude), New York University Law School (1998)
- M.P.P., College of William and Mary (1995)
- B.A., American Government and Economics (cum laude), University of Virginia (1992)
Jeffrey Hirsch joined the UNC faculty in 2011, after teaching for several years at the University of Tennessee College of Law. He has also taught as a visiting professor at Vanderbilt University Law School. Prior to teaching, Professor Hirsch was a litigator in the Appellate Court Branch of the National Labor Relations Board in Washington, D.C. and served as a judicial clerk for the Judge Haldane Mayer on the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit and Judge Robert Beezer on the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit.
Professor Hirsch writes extensively on labor and employment law issues. He is also a contributing editor of the Workplace Prof Blog and a Research Fellow at the New York University Center for Labor and Employment Law.
In 2006, Professor Hirsch received the University of Tennessee’s Marilyn V. Yarbrough Faculty Award for Writing Excellence for his article “Taking State Property Rights Out of Federal Labor Law.” Moreover, his article “Regulatory Pragmatism at Work” was selected for the 2008 Seton Hall Annual Labor & Employment Law Scholars’ Forum, and his co-authored article “Comparative Wrongful Dismissal Law: Reassessing American Exceptionalism” was selected for the 2012 Seventh Annual Comparative Law Works in Progress Workshop, at Princeton University.
Curriculum Vitae ()
Show All Publications
- PUBLIC SECTOR EMPLOYMENT LAW: CASES AND MATERIALS (with M. H. Malin, A. C. Hodges, & J. E. Slater) (3d. ed., West 2016).
- EEOC v. Abercrombie & Fitch: Mistakes, Same-Sex Marriage, and Unintended Consequences, 94 TEXAS LAW REVIEW SEE ALSO 95 (2015). [Westlaw, SSRN, Document Link ()]
NLRB Elections: Ambush or Anticlimax?, 64 EMORY L. J. 1647 (2015). [Westlaw, Lexis/Nexis, SSRN, Hein]
Worker Collective Action in the Digital Age, 117 W. VA. L. REV. 921 (2015). [Westlaw, Lexis/Nexis, SSRN, Hein]
Comparative Wrongful Dismissal Law: Reassessing American Exceptionalism (with S. Estreicher), 92 N.C. L. REV. 343 (2014). [Westlaw, Lexis/Nexis, SSRN, Hein, BEPress]
- MASTERING LABOR LAW (with Anne Marie Lofaso, Paul M. Secunda & Joseph E. Slater) (Carolina Academic Press, 2014). [KF3319 .M37 2014]
The Supreme Court’s 2013-2014 Labor and Employment Law Decisions: Consensus at the Court, 18 EMP. RTS. & EMP. POL'Y J. 159 (2014). [Westlaw, Lexis/Nexis, SSRN]
The Supreme Court’s 2012-2013 Labor and Employment Law Decisions: The Song Remains the Same, 17 EMP. RTS. & EMP. POL'Y J. 157
(2013). [Westlaw, Lexis/Nexis, SSRN]
- UNDERSTANDING EMPLOYMENT LAW (with Richard A. Bales & Paul M. Secunda) (2d ed.) (LexisNexis 2013). [KF3455 .B354 2013]
- LABOR LAW: A PROBLEM-BASED APPROACH (with P.M. Secunda) (LexisNexis, 2012). [KF3319 .S43 2012]