About the Pro Bono Newsletter
The Office of Public Service Programs is here to serve students who are pursuing a career in public interest law and provide opportunities for all students to engage in the School of Law's tradition of public service. Look out for the Public Service Newsletter each Monday for information about public service career opportunities, events, resources, news, and more. View past newsletters.
Events at UNC Law
Public Defender Corps Information Session
Tuesday, November 30, 12:00 p.m., 4082
If you are interested in applying for the Public Defender Corps, plan to attend this information session to hear more about the application process and get tips from CSO staff about how to stand out in your application. Deadline to apply is December 17, and though the sites have not been finalized yet, potential sites include Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Louisiana, Massachusetts, Mississippi, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Pennsylvania, South Carolina and Tennessee. More information about the Public Defender Corps, a partnership between the Southern Public Defender Training Center and Equal Justice Works, can be found here: http://www.equaljusticeworks.org/programs/public-defender-corps/general.
Career Services Open House
Wednesday, December 1, 11:30 a.m. to 1:00 p.m., CSO Suite
Join the CSO staff for a study break! Cookies, coffee, and fruit punch will be served and our staff will be available to answer any questions you might have about job searching during winter break and beyond. It is also a great opportunity to meet Shawn McKenna, our new Director of Employer Outreach. A graduate of George Washington University's Law School, Shawn is an experienced legal career counselor who has worked in a variety of legal settings. He'll be helping identify summer and permanent job opportunities for UNC students. Please help us welcome Shawn to Carolina Law on December 1st!
Current Pro Bono Opportunities
- Division of Marital Property, Law Office of James T. Bryan - Chapel Hill, NC
Projects are posted on the Pro Bono Board near the mailboxes and are listed online at http://www.law.unc.edu/studentlife/probono/projects/. Students can sign up for projects on the Pro Bono Board or email Lauren Felter at UNCProBonoProjects@gmail.com.
Summer and Post-Graduate Employment Opportunities
New Postings for Summer Opportunities
- Mecklenburg County District Attorney's Office - Charlotte, NC
- US Attorney's Office for District of Maryland - Baltimore, MD
- Federal Reserve Bank of Richmond - Richmond, VA
- Florida Bar Foundation - various locations in FL
- Verite, Inc. - Amherst, MA
- Ayuda, Inc. - Sterling, VA
- Institute for Justice - Arlington, VA and other locations
- MFY Legal Services - New York, NY
- New York Civil Liberties Union - New York, NY
- National Women's Law Center - various US locations
- Southern Utah Wilderness Alliance - Salt Lake City, UT
- Bergstrom Summer Fellowship, University of Michigan Child Advocacy Law Clinic - training in Michigan, followed by 10-week placement at child welfare agency
Upcoming Job Bank Deadlines
- North Carolina Innocence Inquiry Commission - deadline is December 10!
Check out other summer internships with upcoming deadlines by selecting sort by deadline in the job bank!
Post-Graduate Employment Opportunities
Public Defender Corps - read more information and attend the information session on November 30 at noon in 4082!
regularly for both summer and post-graduation opportunities.
Public Service Resources
Check out the Public Interest Job Search Guide!
The Public Interest Job Search Guide provides practical advice on how to conduct your job or summer internship search, a suggested timeline for all students, a list of resources, and information about public interest law organizations. This resource will be updated soon. Access this resource.
New Jobs Posted Daily!
See the PSLawNet Job Report - between November 8 and November 15, PSLawNet posted 45 full-time attorney positions, 48 internships, and 20 law-related jobs to their job database. This is a great resource, especially for those looking outside of NC.