Student Health and Well-Being
A healthy, balanced lifestyle is often challenging to maintain during law school, but it is imperative for law students to develop healthy habits in law school in areas such as stress management, physical health, and maintaining a healthy balance between law school and life outside of law school.
The law school sponsors regular programs to promote healthy living, including free weekly yoga classes for students and exam-time study breaks. UNC offers many services to help students maintain good health and well-being, from clinical services to campus recreation.
Campus Health Services
Campus Health Services has been charged with providing ambulatory primary medical care, mental health services and wellness programs along with selected specialty services including obstetrics/gynecology, orthopedics, and dermatology to the eligible Campus Community. Those eligible for services include regularly enrolled students progressing toward a degree, spouses of enrolled students, postdoctoral fellows and spouses, former patients not currently enrolled but expected to return in the immediate future, and selected non-student patients seeking specialized CHS services.
Seek help here with:
- STD Testing
- Nutrition Services
- Asthma/Diabetes Care
Counseling and Psychological Services
Counseling and Psychological Services offers psychological and counseling services including:
Wellness services provide education and health promotion programs in the areas of:
- Fitness and nutrition
- Academic success
- Alcohol and substance use
- Stress management
- Sexual behavior
If you are having a psychological crisis after hours, on a weekend, or university holiday, call 919.966.2281.
BarCARES [NC Bar Association]
BarCARES is a confidential, short-term intervention program provided cost-free to members of local bar groups and students, faculty and staff of law schools which have "opted in." The program is there to help you (and your immediate family members) by providing confidential assistance and brief, solution-oriented counseling.
Includes assistance with:
- Personal Issues
- Family Issues
- Work-related Issues
- Student Coaching on stress and time management
Please call 1.800.640.0735 for further information or assistance.
Accessibility Resources & Service
The Department of Accessibility Resources & Service Mission Statement is presented in two parts:
- Goal - To assure that all programs and facilities of the University are accessible to all persons in the University community.
- Philosophy - To develop programs and services that permit students to, as independently as possible, meet the demands of University life.
Accessibility Resources & Service can assist with:
- Eligibility for Services
- All disabilities are medical conditions, but not all medical conditions are disabilities. To be eligible for services, students must provide documentation that provides information about a substantial limitation to one or more major life activities, specifically as it applies to meeting the demands of University life, in and/or out of the classroom.
- New Student Information
- Guidelines for Alternate Testing
Campus Recreation seeks to provide a healthy, safe, and inclusive recreation environment where the University community can be active, work, learn, and develop skills to succeed at Carolina and beyond.
Places of Worship
The UNC Chapel Hill Public Safety unit is an accredited agency dedicated to the welfare of the university community. Its staff members provide guidance on parking, transportation, special events and other police services.
Sign up for Alert Carolina
- update your cell number so the university can reach you in an emergency.
Helpful Phone Numbers
Emergency or life-threatening situation, Dial 911
- John Kasprzak, Assistant Dean of Student Services: 919.843.9076
- UNC School of Law Front Desk: 919.962.5106
- Kathrine R. Everett Law Library: 919.962.1321
- UNC Main Campus Dean of Students Office: 919.966.4042
- UNC Police/Public Safety (non-emergency): 919.962.8100
- Chapel Hill Police: 919.968.2760
- Campus Health Services: 919.966.2281
- Counseling and Wellness Services (CWS): 919.966.3658
- Family Violence Prevention Center of Orange County: 919.929.7122
- Orange County Rape Crisis Center (OCRCC business line): 919.968.4647
- OCRCC 24 Hour Crisis Line: 919.967.7273 or 1.866.935.4783
- Pearce & Pearce Insurance (UNC Mandatory Insurance): 1.888.622.6001
Adverse Weather-Related Phone Numbers
- School of Law: 919.843.9075
- UNC Main Campus: 919.843.1234
- Environment, Health & Safety: 919.685.8100